- OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 8 1/2" x 6" x 3"
- WEIGHT: Approximately 6 lbs
- OUTER CASE: Highly polished duraluminium body, covered in genuine Morocco leather. Metal parts are chrome-plated.
- FILM CAPACITY: 100ft (30m) and 50ft (15m) daylight loading spools of 16mm film.
- THREADING: Automatic threading and loop forming. The end of the film is simply placed in a channel leading to the feed sprocket. The release is pressed and the film is then automatically threaded throughout the entire mechanism.
- MOTOR: Constant speed, spring motor mechanism; governor controlled. Large winding handle folds downward and attaches to camera when not in use. Spring cannot be over-wound. 8:1 external drive shaft permits the attachment of an electric motor.
- TURRET: Rotating turret with folding lever; Accommodates three interchangeable RX type C mount lenses; Built-in turret lock lever.
- VIEWFINDER: 10x magnification; Reflex viewing with semi-reflecting prism system; Groundglass focusing; Adjustable to eyesight. The camera comes equipped with an Octometer viewfinder.
- FILTER SLOT: Built-in slot holds a gelatin filter behind the taking lens and in front of the shutter.
- VARIABLE SPEED: 12, 16, 18, 24, 32, 48 and 64 frames per second
- RELEASE BUTTON: provides for the making of continuous exposures by a finger-tip release on the front of the camera. A side release allows for locked, hands-free running or single frame exposures.
- VARIABLE SHUTTER: 133 degree variable shutter; Operated manually to decrease exposure time, or with accessory Rexofader to accomplish fade-ins and fade-outs.
- FOOTAGE COUNTER: adds and subtracts accurately in forward or reverse motion and automatically returns to zero when film is reloaded into the camera.
- AUDIBLE FOOTAGE INDICATOR: A distinct click announces the passing of each 10 inches of film through the gate. This mechanism may be disengaged, if desired, by simply moving a lever.
- FRAME COUNTER: Twin dial counts frames individually and in total; Adds frames in forward motion and subtracts when film is wound backwards. Dial may be reset manually at any time.
- SINGLE FRAME: Time lapse and animation is possible by using the side release button or an accessory cable release and adapter; I-T lever allows for timed or instantaneous single exposures.
- MANUAL REWIND: Clutch disengages spring motor and permits forward movement and backwind without running down the spring; allows for dissolves and superimposition.
- FLAT BASE: Contains three tripod sockets: Two 3/8" thread and one 1/4" thread. Front of the base is removable for easy mounting of the Bolex Matte Box.
Notes and Comments
The design of the H-16 REX-2 was improved in 1964 to include a flat base that allowed the camera to stand on a flat surface without the need for an accessory attachment. Other improvements included a series of four threaded sockets that permitted the attachment of an external motor drive. The trailing number "3" was used to identify all H model camera bodies with the newly introduced flat base.
Bolex Cameras in the H16 Reflex Series:
Serial Numbers and Dates of Manufacture
The serial number on this model is inscribed on the flat base of the camera body. The H16 REX-3 began production in 1963, starting with S/N 202501. It was first introduced in 1964, but was superseded by the H16 REX-4 later that same year.