Super 8mm Camera
- WEIGHT: 2 lb, 6 oz. (1.08 kg)
- TYPE: Super 8 cartridge load, battery operated.
- POWER SUPPLY: Camera motor: four 1.5v AA batteries. Exposure control: two PX-13 1.35v mercury cells.
- LENS: Paillard 8.5mm-30mm f/1.9 zoom lens. Focal length is controlled by turning a milled knob, equipped with a folding lever. Focusing from 1" to infinity is controlled by milled thumb-knob. Lens hood folds down when not in use. Built-in mount accepts series VI filters.
- AUTOMATIC EXPOSURE: Fully automatic exposure control; Diaphragm lock for manual exposure control.
- VIEWFINDER: Reflex viewing with semi-reflecting prism system and coincident image rangefinder. Adjustable knob for image sharpness.
- VARIABLE SPEED: 18 and 32 frames per second
- RELEASE BUTTON: Continuous exposures can be made by a trigger release on the front of the grip handle. Trigger can be flipped up to prevent accidental filming.
- FOOTAGE COUNTER: A watch-dial footage indicator, divided into 24 sectors of 8 seconds at 18fps, shows how much film is left in the camera.
- SINGLE FRAME: A specially designed accessory, positioned in front of the ordinary release, allows the user to expose single frames for filming animation, titles, etc.
- GRIP: Built-in grip with trigger release and 1/4" thread tripod socket.
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: Carrying case; Filter mount; Neck Strap; Multitrix with slide mount, grease pencil, acetate sheets for titling and special effects.
Notes and Comments
The Bolex 155 Macrozoom was introduced in 1968 and featured improvements to the design of the 150 Super. The Macrozoom lens was now able to focus as close as one inch and the viewing system featured a coincident image rangefinder. Speed remained at 18 frames per second, but a new thumb-operated pushbutton now allowed for "instant slow motion" of 32fps when depressed.
The main selling point of the 155 was the ability to film close-ups; the phrase "One Inch to Infinity" was often used in advertising. An accessory device, the Multitrix, was included with the purchase of the camera. It attached to the front of the camera and served as an optical bench for filming titles, pictures and even transparencies for special effects.
Paillard-Bolex Super 8 cameras:
Serial Numbers and Dates of Manufacture
The serial number on Bolex 155 Macrozoom cameras is located on the bottom of the lens housing, just above the trigger release and exposure lock; it can be used to determine the year in which it was manufactured.
|D 60000||—||D 68150||1967|
|D 68150||—||D 100870||1968|
|D 104001||—||D 104050||1968|
|D 104051||—||D 118779||1969|
|D 118780||—||D 120950||1970|