Super 8mm Camera
- WEIGHT: 2 lb, 6 oz. (1.08 kg)
- TYPE: Super 8 cartridge load, battery operated.
- POWER SUPPLY: Camera motor: four 1.5v AA batteries. Exposure control: two PX-13 1.35v mercury cells.
- LENS: Paillard 8.5mm-30mm f/1.9 zoom lens. Focal length is controlled automatically by power zoom controls, or manually by turning a knob equipped with a folding lever. Focusing from 1" to infinity is controlled by milled thumb-knob. Lens hood folds down when not in use. Built-in mount accepts series VI filters.
- AUTOMATIC EXPOSURE: Fully automatic exposure control; Diaphragm lock for manual exposure control.
- VIEWFINDER: Reflex viewing with semi-reflecting prism system and coincident image rangefinder. Adjustable knob for image sharpness.
- VARIABLE SPEED: 18, 24 and 36 frames per second
- RELEASE BUTTON: Continuous exposures can be made by a trigger release on the front of the grip handle. Trigger can be flipped up to prevent accidental filming.
- FOOTAGE COUNTER: A watch-dial footage indicator, divided into 24 sectors of 8 seconds at 18fps, shows how much film is left in the camera.
- SINGLE FRAME: Built-in single frame mechanism allows the user to expose single frames for filming animation, titles, etc.
- GRIP: Built-in grip with trigger release and 1/4" thread tripod socket.
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: Carrying case; Filter mount; Neck Strap; Multitrix with slide mount, grease pencil, acetate sheets for titling and special effects.
Notes and Comments
The 160 featured an additional speed of 24 frames per second, a power zoom function and the ability to use a cable release without the need for an accessory attachment.
Speed could be switched between 18 and 24 frames per second while shooting, and a thumb-operated pushbutton could be depressed at any time for a slow motion speed of 36 frames per second (this was previously 32fps on the Bolex 155). A lever located on the outside rear of film chamber allowed for a power zooming; manual zooming was controlled by a milled knob on the left side.
Paillard-Bolex Super 8 cameras:
Serial Numbers and Dates of Manufacture
The serial number on Bolex 160 Macrozoom cameras is located on the bottom of the lens housing, just above the trigger release and exposure lock; it can be used to determine the year in which it was manufactured.
|D 121001||—||D 138686||1970|
|D 138687||—||D 147250||1971|