- OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 8 1/2" x 6" x 3"
- WEIGHT: Approximately 5 1/2 lbs
- OUTER CASE: Highly polished duraluminium body, covered in genuine Morocco leather. Metal parts are chrome-plated.
- FILM CAPACITY: 100ft (30m) and 50ft (15m) daylight loading spools of 16mm film.
- THREADING: Automatic threading and loop forming. The end of the film is simply placed in a channel leading to the feed sprocket. The release is pressed and the film is then automatically threaded throughout the entire mechanism.
- MOTOR: Constant speed, spring motor mechanism; governor controlled. Large winding handle folds downward and attaches to camera when not in use. Spring cannot be over-wound. 8:1 external drive shaft permits the attachment of an electric motor.
- TURRET: Rotating turret accommodates three interchangeable C mount lenses. The top position allows for critical focusing through a magnified groundglass screen.
- VIEWFINDER: Eye-level focuser allows for critical focusing through a groundglass screen. Parallax correcting Octameter gives an exact viewing field for lenses of 8 focal lengths: 16mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 63mm, 75mm, 100mm and 150mm.
- VARIABLE SPEED: 8, 16, 24, 32 and 64 frames per second
- RELEASE BUTTON: provides for the making of continuous exposures by a finger-tip release on the front of the camera. A side release allows for locked, hands-free running or single frame exposures.
- SHUTTER: 190 degree aperture shutter
- FOOTAGE COUNTER: adds and subtracts accurately in forward or reverse motion and automatically returns to zero when film is reloaded into the camera.
- AUDIBLE FOOTAGE INDICATOR: A distinct click announces the passing of each 10 inches of film through the gate. This mechanism may be disengaged, if desired, by simply moving a lever.
- FRAME COUNTER: Twin dial counts frames individually and in total; Adds frames in forward motion and subtracts when film is wound backwards. Dial may be reset manually at any time.
- SINGLE FRAME: Time lapse and animation is possible by using the side release button or an accessory cable release and adapter; I-T lever allows for timed or instantaneous single exposures.
- MANUAL REWIND: Clutch disengages spring motor and permits forward movement and backwind without running down the spring; allows for dissolves and superimposition.
- TRIPOD SOCKET: 3/8" thread
Notes and Comments
The H-16 "Deluxe" was sold with an eye level focuser and the Octameter viewfinder. The Octameter was introduced in 1950, and required a special bracket to be attached to the film door. The "Deluxe" and later H model cameras could be purchased with this bracket already installed; earlier models could be modified to accept the octameter by a Bolex service facility
Bolex cameras in the H16 non-reflex series:
Serial Numbers and Dates of Manufacture
Because the "Deluxe" was simply a marketing term used for H model cameras sold in the US, it should be considered a basic H16 non-reflex camera. As such, I don't include a serial number range here. For more information, see this article on Bolex Serial Numbers to identify the year in which your camera was made.