BOLEX S - 311
- OVERALL DIMENSIONS: Cover closed: 20 1/2" x 11" x 17"; Cover removed, with reels: 25 1/2" x 17" x 31"
- WEIGHT: Approximately 55 lbs.
- CONSTRUCTION: Cast aluminum; Two-tone grey finish; Carrying handle; Detachable cover lid with built-in 8" speaker; Illuminated controls.
- REEL CAPACITY: Accommodates up to 2000 ft reels. Top reel arm folds downward for storage.
- THREADING: Simple manual threading with pushbutton sprockets; Engraved diagrams illustrate the path for threading sound or silent film.
- POWER: 110-250 V, 50-60 Hz
- LAMP: 110 V 750 or 1000 Watt projection lamp; 4 V 0.75 amp optical sound lamp. Modern replacement: DDB 120V/750W or DFT 120V/1000W projection bulb; BFX 4V/3W optical sound bulb.
- LENS: Interchangeable lenses; Originally supplied with a Paillard-Bolex 50mm f/1.3 Hi-Fi lens. 35mm f/1.3 and 70mm f/1.6 lenses were also available.
- VARIABLE SPEED: 16 to 24 frames per second forward projection. Rapid motor rewind of threaded film.
- SOUND: Projects films with an optical sound track. Optical sound head: 50 to 7,000 Hz +/- 3 decibels. 15 Watt, seven-tube amplifier; Separate controls for treble, bass and volume.
- OTHER FEATURES: Automatic frame counter; Two or three blade shutter switch; Built-in illuminated stroboscope for precise setting of 18 and 24fps; Height and level adjustments can be made on all four feet; A table lamp can be attached which switches off when the projector is running and relights again when stopped.
- SUPPLIED WITH: (1) 2000ft reel, (1) 50mm Hi-Fi projection lens and speaker cover.
Notes and Comments
Paillard's sound projectors were updated in 1968 with the introduction of the S311/321. These later models allowed the projector to be run off a mains power supply of 110-250 Volts. The S311 model was designed as a playback-only projector for 16mm silent or optical sound film. The detachable lid contained a 15 Watt 8" speaker.
For sound projection in larger rooms, an additional 12", 15 Watt speaker cabinet was available as an accessory. It was supplied with a sound control box and 50' cord on a supply reel. The control box allowed both 12" and 8" speakers to be used simultaneously, and the volume of each to be adjusted individually. The sides of the unit could be folded down to form a support stand.
The projector was supplied with a 2000 ft aluminum reel and a 50mm lens. 35mm and 70mm lenses could also be purchased.
Serial Numbers and Dates of Manufacture
The serial number on S311 projectors can be used to determine the year in which it was manufactured. The table below lists the range of serial numbers allocated to the production run of the S311/S321 series.